By TCN News
The resolutions adopted at the Conference on The Rights of the Oppressed.
The Conference on the Rights of the Oppressed organized by Tamil Nadu Thowheed Jamaath on July, the 4th , 2010 at the Island Grounds, Chennai unanimously adopted the following resolutions.
1. The Muslims who have played a major role in the independence and shaping of India have even after 63 years of independence been deprived of their rightful share in education and employment. Justice Rajendra Sachar Commission and Justice Ranganath Mishra Commission have graphically documented this in their Reports. Justice Ranganath Mishra Commission has also recommended 10% separate reservation for the Muslims. This conference thanks Justice Rajendra Sachar and Justice Ranganth Mishra on behalf of the Muslim community .
2. To mitigate the plight of the Muslims, this conference requests the Central Government to enact a law to provide 10% reservation for Muslims in all educational institutions including institutions of excellence like Indian Institutes of Technology and Indian Institutes of Managements.
3. This conference requests the Central Government to enact a law providing 10% separate reservation for Muslims in employment in the central government and all state governments, public and private sectors and multinational companies.
4. The state police forces, intelligence agencies, Central Reserve Police Force, Border Security Force, and the military during the communal violences in the past have acted with prejudice and against the minorities. This has been established by various enquiry commissions. This conference, therefore requests the Centre to reserve 20% of the posts for the Muslims in the state police forces, intelligence agencies, Central Reserve Police Force, Border Security Force, and the armed forces.
5. The representation of Muslims in both the houses of the parliament and in the state legislatures has been dwindling. This conference requests that 10% of the constituencies be reserved in both the houses of parliament, state legislative assemblies and legislative councils and in all local bodies exclusively for Muslims as has been in the case of scheduled caste and scheduled tribes.
6. The Muslims are being neglected in the distribution of government freebees and social welfare schemes. This conference requests that 10% exclusive reservation for Muslims be made in the government freebees and welfare schemes in accordance with the Mishra Commission recommendation.
7. In implementation of the Mishra Commission recommendation, this conference requests establishment of Muslim Universities in all the States as in Uttar Pradesh.
8. The Indian National Congress promised reservation for Muslims during the 2004 parliamentary election. Muslims voted en-masse. This conference reminds the Congress Party its moral obligation to fulfill its promise to the community.
9. This conference points out that there are no legal hurdles in providing separate reservation for Muslims. The Ranganth Mishra Commission has dealt in detail this aspect and has concluded separate reservation for Muslims is well within the law.
10. This conference reminds that if the Congress Party were to introduce a bill for reservation for the Muslims, all the allies of the Congress and the parties supporting it and also the Left parties, DMK, AIDMK, Samajwadi party, Bahujan Samajwadi Party, Rashtria Janata Dal, Nationalist Congress Party and most of the national and regional parties except the BJP and Shiv Sena would support it.
11. This conference points out that there is no reason for delaying the provision of separate reservation for Muslims. The Muslims will no longer be carried away by excuses.
12. There is no option other than separate reservation for the betterment of the Muslim community which has been neglected for the past 63 years. This conference proclaims that the Muslims are ready for any sacrifice to achieve 10% separate reservation through out the country.
13. This conference reverberates the voice of the entire Muslim community that it shall not be satisfied with any thing except reservation and that it shall be the only issue with them in the forthcoming elections.
14. This conference resolves that all the state governments provide separate reservations for Muslims following the precedence set by the states of Tamil Nadu, Kerala, Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh and West Bengal.
15. This conference strongly condemns the Puduchery Government for deceiving the Muslims. The ruling Congress Party shall have to definitely pay the price in the ensuing election.
16. The Muslims thankfully acknowledge the provision of 3.5% separate reservation by the Tamil Nadu Government in fulfillment of their long pending demand. This conference draws the attention of the Government of Tamil Nadu to the apathy of certain officials in denying the rights of those Muslims not included in the reservation quota. This conference requests the Hon’ble Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu to pass necessary orders to ensure that eligible Muslims are not barred from competing in the general category.
17. Taking into consideration the Justice Ranganath Mishra Commission Report, this conference requests the Hon’ble Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu to increase to 7% the existing separate reservations for Muslims.
18. This conference requests the Hon’ble Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu, who as an elderly statesman wields an overwhelming influence on the Central Government, to use his good offices in making the Central Government see reason to implement the Justice Ranganath Mishra Commission Report.
19. Muslims had reservation quota during the British rule. In their quest for independence, the Muslims boycotted English and everything that is British. They denounced jobs under the British Colony. It is this sacrifice that has made the Muslims backward. Against this background, this conference implores the ruling elite to compassionately consider the justifiable demands of the Muslim community.
20. This conference thanks and appreciates all those leaders, political parties, organizations, intellectuals, social workers, writers, media, press and individuals who have voiced and supported reservation for Muslims.
21. Articles 15(5) and 16(4) give the State the power to provide reservation for backward class of citizens. Assurances were given during the debates in the Constituent Assembly that minorities were meant by the clause ‘backward class of citizens’. Interpretations contrary to those assurances instill a feeling of insecurity amongst the minorities. This conference requests the central government to amend the Constitution by inserting the word minorities after the clause ‘backward class of citizens’.
This conference praises Allah the Most High and thanks Him for His blessings in conducting this conference.
This conference also thanks all the men, women, children and elders, who have converged here and all those who donated generously and all those noble souls who sweating out in the gulf have bled their every penny for this conference and all those without whose efforts this could not have happened and all the leaders and special guests who graced the conference in a show of solidarity with the Muslims, the press, the media, the editors, reporters, lensmen, technicians, and the contractors, the police department, the intelligence, the fire service, the state government and all its departments.
And in the end all praise belongs to Allaah!
[All photos by TNTJ]